Zo kijken Amerikanen naar de C30

De opvolger van P1800 en 480
Plaats reactie
Ben
Executive Member
Contacteer:

Is the label worth the premium pricetag?

Compact premium cars are an odd idea. I can kinda see the point of them in Europe , where almost all the roads are narrow, fuel taxation is high, and parking spots are a much-coveted luxury, but why are carmakers so convinced Americans want them? Gas is still cheap (relative to Europe), the roads are broader than Luxembourg , parking spaces are plentiful, and I doubt these overpowered compacts will save us from global warming any time soon. I suppose some people are simply slaves to have the right label, and it gives badge-conscious wannabes a more affordable slice of the premium pie.

The genre might be relatively new, but it's growing quickly. The latest to line up alongside the Audi A3 and BMW 1-Series is the Volvo C30, a hatchback version of the S40, which is itself a European-spec Ford Focus under the skin. We won't hold that against it, though, because we really like the way the Focus rides and handles and besides, the Audi A3 is based on a humble hatch as well. Unlike the A3, though, the engines in the C30 are exclusive to Volvo, with the exception of the five-cylinder turbocharged engine in the T5, which proved to be so good that Volvo's owners, Ford, stole it for the European Focus ST.

We'll get back to that in moment. Firstly, we need to deal with the C30's rather controversial looks. From the windshield forward, the C30 is basically the same as the S40, meaning it's chunky and rather handsome - a perfectly acceptable piece of design from the world's most conservative stylists.

Move along the flanks and two things stand out: The first is the broad shoulders, which give the C30 the kind of muscle that the sober A3 and 1-Series can only dream about, and the second is the rather tacky bodykit that Volvo has insisted on fitting as standard. Not only does it upset the purity of the design, it also looks very susceptible to damage, especially now that most parking spaces have concrete bumpers big enough to stop a tank.

Finally, there's the rear, with its odd glass tailgate and strange lamp and bumper arrangement. Initially, I detested it, but over time I've become accustomed to it and now quite enjoy the way that it looks like nothing else on the road. I don't think the wacky rear end fuses terrible well with the conservative front end, but at least the C30 offers something that catches the eye and turns heads.

Same story

It's the same story inside: Conservative up front, wacky in the backy. The C30's dashboard, seats and major controls are all lifted right out of the S40, so you still have the rather pointless "floating" console that focuses too much on style and not enough on function. All the stereo and HVAC buttons are all heaped together in the middle of the center console and then positioned quite low and marked with tiny symbols.

It takes quite a bit of time to remember where everything is so you can operate everything without having to study the dashboard first, but at least the fundamentals are right. The driving position is exemplary, catering for just about every size human being imaginable, while the position of the pedals and gearlever imbues the driver with a sense that he or she is about to drive something very enthusiast-orientated indeed.

In the back the C30 has two individual seats, although they're not really two proper seats - it's really just a bench that's been pointlessly split in two by a small gap. Curiously, there's no real separation between the trunk and the rear seats. You can actually peer between the seats and watch your groceries slither around the trunk space. The low-set glass tailgate means that following SUV drivers also get a good look at your culinary plans for the week, which means you have no choice but to erect the infuriating, canvas load-cover to hide your goodies from the outside world.

As far as passenger accommodation is concerned, it's not terribly spacious back there either. There's just enough head and legroom to cram a pair of adults in there for short periods of time, although to be fair it's really no worse than the Audi A3 and considerably better than the cramped rear seat of the BMW 1-Series. What really limits its appeal for young professionals with a family is the lack of five-door version. Even with the big doors and sliding front seat, it's just too much effort to get a baby into a child seat back there.

Euro true

Volvo has, as far as I can tell, tried to keep as many of the Euro-Focus's handling characteristics as possible. As a consequence, it rides well (more compliant though no less sporty than the Audi or the BMW) and steers with tremendous accuracy, even though the huge Volvo steering wheel blunts some of its sharpness. On 17-inch wheels grip is impressive, but it's not adverse to a little playful rear-wheel steer when provoked, and overall it's difficult not to be amused by the C30's handling. It's not as good as the rear-drive BMW, perhaps, nor even the outstanding Focus ST on which it's based, but the upshot is a quiet and relatively composed ride quality that really gives the occupants the sense that the C30 is a proper premium product.

American C30s will likely use the same five-cylinder engines as the S40 sedan: a 168-hp 2.4-liter and a 218-hp 2.5-liter. I'm a big fan of the 2.5-liter in the Euro-Focus ST but on European C30s it's combined with a rock-hard suspension that badly upsets the car's fluidity and composure. Hopefully, it will be softened a touch by the time it goes on sale in America but if not then don't worry because the 168-hp 2.4-liter is no slouch in its own right and combined with the softer suspension makes for a better car overall. It'll be cheaper, too, costing around $22,000 compared to the C30 T5's $26,000 and will probably suit the majority of potential buyers better anyway: compact executive buyers are more interested in the upscale looks and the right badge than anything else, I suspect.

There's no denying the C30 has a certain something, but whether its odd styling and curious interior layout are enough to lure label slaves away from Audi and BMW showrooms, I'm not so sure. Personally, if I were about to spend $22,000 on a three-door hatchback it would be a VW GTI, which is a far better car than any of the premium compacts.

But then again, I'm also the kind of person who buy generic trainers and department-store jeans. I appreciate quality, don't get me wrong, but I also like to get value for my money and I just don't see the point of overpaying for a mainstream hatchback in boutique wrapping.

2008 Volvo C30

Base price: $22,000 (estimated)
Engines: 2.4-liter five-cylinder, 168 hp; 2.5-liter five-cylinder turbo, 218 hp

Performance: 2.4 (manual): 0-60 mph in 8.1s, 130 mph (auto: 8.8s/134mph); T5 (manual) 6.7s/149 mph (7.1s/146mph)

Transmission: Five-speed (2.4) or six-speed manual (T5), or five-speed automatic, front-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 167.4 x 70.2 x 57.0 in
Wheelbase: 103.9 in
Curb weight: 2934 lb (2.4), 2970 lb (T5)
Fuel economy (city/hwy): 2.4 manual 20/37 mpg, T5 manual 19/36 mpg (Euro cycle)
Safety equipment: Front, side, curtain airbags; ABS; stability control; whiplash protection

Major standard equipment: Cruise control, climate control, power windows/locks/mirrors, 16-inch alloys, leather steering wheel

Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles
Volvohistorie: 244-245-440-850-V70-V70-S60-XC70-XC70-245-S70-V70
BlackSapphire
6th Gear member

Ik vrees dat ik deze yank gelijk zou geven. Ook in Europese tests kwam de VW beter uit de verf als het gaat om prijs / kwaliteit. Als je persé Volvo wil rijden ga je voor de C30, maar let je meer op je geld en de kwaliteit/prestaties die je ervoor krijgt vrees ik toch dat je ergens anders uit komt. Laat ik in ik-taal spreken: dat ik ergens anders uit zou komen.
Roel

2/2007 - 8/2016 - Volvo V70 D5 Edition II - BlackSapphire - MY 2004
8/2016 - Volvo V60 T4 Momentum - Savile Grey - MY 2011

- De vreugde van een lage prijs, duurt korter dan de ergenis van een slechte kwaliteit -
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “C30”